Can't load an edited chip!

cmprice11
Hey all, having issues loading a chip after editing it.
-Running Windows 10.
-I am able to load chips I have not yet edited, and run test scripts on them.
-I tried editing the And.hdl chip, as it's the first chip, in notepad.
-I saved it with the same file name, making sure to use ANSI encoding.
-It saves as 'text documents (.txt)' type in the 'Save as type' box, and the only other option is 'All files (.*)

How do I get the chip loaded?  Thanks!

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

cmprice11
to clarify, it just says "Loading Chip" at the bottom

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

There is a bug in the HardwareSimulator that causes it to hang while loading if a Chip tries to use itself in the PARTS: section. This most often happens when students start working on Not.hdl.

CHIP Not {
    PARTS:
    Not(...);
}

When writing the Not chip, the only part that you can use is Nand.

Once you have successfully tested your Not, then you can use Not in new chips that you write. You should follow the order presented in the book: Not, And, Or, Xor, ... because you need to use the earlier parts to write the later parts.

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

cmprice11
Perfect, thank you for the quick and clear response!

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

cmprice11
Just tried And chip after successfully doing Not (using Nand), and it's still stuck on 'Loading Chip...'

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

Does your And have an "And(...);" in its PARTS?  It can only use Nand and Not.

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

cmprice11
it did, I adjusted.  thanks... i'm new to all this.

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

cmprice11 wrote
... i'm new to all this.
My favorite students are people who are eager to learn something completely new!

If you didn't see it, check out the Hardware Construction Survival Kit.

Re: Can't load an edited chip!

ivant
Note that basically all the course tools have some problems like that, even when loading correct definitions or programs. That's why my workflow was to reload new versions of the chips (or programs), but if I see any strange behavior I'd restart the emulator. Also, when I'm finished, I'd run the tests on freshly started simulator to make sure they weren't passing because of a glitch.