Hello everybody, and thanks for the help!

Hello everybody, and thanks for the help!

SiphonZero
Hi there, I am a self-learner and since I am enjoying the book so much, I thought I'd drop in and check out the forums.

Many of my questions have already been answered in previous posts, so I want to say thanks to all the helpful people on here! My main interest is building actual real-life computers from 74xx series logic, and messing around with classic microprocessors like the 6502 and Z80, but this course has really opened my eyes to HDL and EDA, I never thought simulating circuits could be this fun. If anyone has any good software recommendations for logic design/simulation/testing or knows a good place to score old test equipment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for reading this, and see ya later.

Re: Hello everybody, and thanks for the help!

If you haven't found it yet, check out Logisim. It's a fairly powerful schematic-based digital circuit simulator. I've written a library of 7400 series TTL parts for it, and used them to simulate a Hack-like computer. Email me if you want the library.

--Mark

Here's what the CPU looks like using my library in Logisim. Note that the chip labeled "ALU2" is a the ALU, also implemented with TTL, but it's too big for a reasonable screen shot.

CPU with TTL in Logisim

Re: Hello everybody, and thanks for the help!

SiphonZero
Thanks for the info, I have experimented with Logisim a bit, but haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I would love to check out that 7400 series library, I'll send you an email. Sorry for the late reply been a busy week, Thanks again and see ya later!