How the very first Assembler

ajilraju
Hello :),

           Now we have high-level language like python, java etc... used writing the hack assembler, we already exploit the underlay abstraction of all computer part, still i have one doubt how the programmers write very first "Assembler for the very first computer, means symbolic assembly language". Could you please explain to me how this thing is happens. that is my last black box in the part1 of this course.

Re: How the very first Assembler

WBahn
Administrator
ajilraju wrote
Hello :),

           Now we have high-level language like python, java etc... used writing the hack assembler, we already exploit the underlay abstraction of all computer part, still i have one doubt how the programmers write very first "Assembler for the very first computer, means symbolic assembly language". Could you please explain to me how this thing is happens. that is my last black box in the part1 of this course.

Thanks,
Pretty simple, actually -- at least in principle. They came up with the language they wanted and then wrote a small program on paper that could assemble a carefully chosen subset of the language. They then assembled this program into machine code by hand and loaded it into the computer. That program had the ability to assemble a more capable assembler that was written using only the commands in the subset, but the new assembler had the ability to process a larger subset. After a few iterations you had an assembler that could assemble the entire instruction set, but that probably could not do anything else such as process labels. So now you write a more complex assembler that could do those things. At some point along they way you also wrote a very simple editor (usually a line editor) that would allow you to enter and alter your source code documents.