ChaseW
This post was updated on .
When I try to open an unchanged .hdl file in projects01.zip (after extraction) it lets me open it and runs fine.
But when i go to create my own .hdl file it just says "Loading chip..." and never finishes, how can I fix it?

This is the Mux Chip im trying to create;

[Correct solution removed by admin.]

PS: im using note pad to create my .hdl file is there a better external text editer i can use. Im very new at this. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Chase

Re: Loading chip never stops...

ChaseW
dont worry think i figured it out, need to actually create the simple gates first... i hope :)

Re: Loading chip never stops...

ChaseW
Nope! still get same problem whether i use built-in chips of composite ones. It will just keep trying to load the chip.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
Chase

Re: Loading chip never stops...

Chasew
Figured out that you have to use Nand gate to make up all the others, so it works now.

Sorry if i wasted somebodies time :S

Re: Loading chip never stops...

Usually, when the simulator hangs loading an HDL file is is because of a recursive definition. For instance your And uses Not which uses And.

You need to implement the chips in the order listed in the book: build Not using Nand, then And using Not and Nand, then Or using some combination of And, Nand and Not.

You don't want to use only Nand gates. The ALU from chapter 2 takes 440 Nand gates!

Re: Loading chip never stops...

ChaseW wrote
PS: im using note pad to create my .hdl file is there a better external text editer i can use. Im very new at this. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Chase
I like Notepad++, http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Re: Loading chip never stops...

ybakos
Another excellent editor, available on windows, linux and macos: Sublime Text 2.